(Public and private wetland mitigation banks in northwest Florida)
Often the best and generally preferred option for offsetting wetland impacts, there are currently nine wetland mitigation banks in northwest Florida.
- Bear Creek Mitigation Bank
- Breakfast Point Mitigation Bank
- Devils Swamp Mitigation Bank
- Garcon Peninsula Mitigation Bank
- Nokuse Mitigation Bank
- Pensacola Bay Mitigation Bank
- St. Marks Mitigation Bank
- Sand Hill Lakes Mitigation Bank
- Sweetwater Mitigation Bank
The combined mitigation service areas (MSAs) of these banks (public and private) cover approximately 40% (4,480 mi2) of the NWFMWD jurisdiction (private MSAs cover ~4,120 mi2 or 36%). Federal and state permitting authorities decide when mitigation banks may be used as offsetting mitigation for a given impact. The NWFWMD Umbrella Plan / In-Lieu Fee Plan does not compete with private mitigation banks. Any questions regarding the current status of a mitigation bank should be directed to the US Army Corps of Engineers, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, or the individual bank.